1. The name of the Club shall be Barnet and District Athletic Club (hereinafter called “the Club”).
2. The objects of the Club shall be the promotion of amateur athletics and to provide social activities for members
3. The Club colours shall be royal blue and red. The Club vest shall have a red top and blue bottom, with the Club name or equivalent across the chest. Shorts shall be red.
4. Any person who is an amateur as defined by the rules of UK Athletics (for the time being in force) is eligible to apply for membership of the Club, whether as 1st Claim, 2nd Claim or Supporter Member.
Completed application forms should be submitted to the Membership Secretary and must be accompanied by the appropriate fee..
The acceptance of membership shall be at the discretion of the General Committee, but will not unreasonably be withheld.
A member who is in arrears with his or her subscription by more than two years shall be deemed to no longer be a member, as provided for in the rules of UK Athletics.
5. The Club shall be managed by a General Committee, all of whom shall be members of the Club and who shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting. The Committee shall meet on no fewer than 8 occasions during a year and shall consist of:
Hon. General Secretary
Clerk to the General Committee
Young Athletes’ Representative
5 Committee Members
Communications and web site coordinator
The duties of the positions marked * may be shared between 2 or more individuals.
At an Annual General Meeting the Club shall also elect a President and a maximum of 3 Vice-Presidents . A person may serve as President for a maximum of 3 continuous years. The President, Past Presidents, and Vice-Presidents may attend Committee meetings but only The President and Immediate Past President may vote.
The General Committee shall have power to fill any positions which may remain unfilled at an Annual General Meeting or which fall vacant. The General Committee shall also have power to co-opt up to 5 additional paid-up members to the Committee, who shall have power to vote.
The General Committee may appoint sub-committees for specific purposes, provided that such purposes shall be within the General Committee’s powers. The membership, terms of reference and powers of such sub-committees shall be determined by the General Committee but they shall not have authority to make final decisions on matters which these rules specifically delegate to the General Committee.
6. A quorum at a General Committee shall consist of 7. In the case of an equality of votes, the person presiding at the meeting shall have a second or casting vote.
7. (a) The General Committee shall have the power to expel any member whose subscription is 6 months in arrears provided that 4 weeks’ notice in writing has been sent to that member by e-mail and or by post addressed to his or her last known address informing that member of the proposed action of the General Committee.
(b) Subject to the disciplinary procedures of England Athletics , any member contravening the Rules or being guilty of misconduct prejudicial to the good name of the Club may be expelled by the General Committee.
(c) The name and address of a person expelled from the Club for such reasons shall be sent to the Hon. Secretary England Athletics.
(d) Unless the requirement is expressly waived by the General Committee, a member may only resign from the Club if his or her subscriptions are not in arrears.
8. The Club may at an Annual General Meeting elect Hon. Vice ¬Presidents who shall not thereby become members of the General Committee. Such members are subject to re-election at each Annual General Meeting.
9. The Club may at an Annual General Meeting, on the recommendation of the General Committee elect Life Members of the Club.
10. Subscriptions shall be payable on election and thereafter on the day following the Annual General Meeting. Life Members, Past Presidents and Hon. Vice-Presidents shall not be liable for subscriptions. The amount of subscriptions shall be decided at the Annual General Meeting.
11. The financial year shall be from 1 August to the following 31 July.
12. The Hon. Treasurer shall keep a record of income and expenditure and of assets and liabilities in such form as may be required by the General Committee.
13. The Club’s funds shall be deposited with one of the Clearing Banks and/or invested, either in whole or in part, with a Building Society that is a member of the Building Societies’ Association or in local government bonds. The Hon. Treasurer may, subject to Rule 14, operate the accounts to a maximum of £500 for any one item and for any item above £500 the accounts shall be operated by the Hon. Treasurer together either the Chairman or the Hon. General Secretary The Chairman or the Hon. General Secretary may authorise any member of the committee, other than the Treasurer, to act on their behalf in this matter.
14. The Club’s accounts shall be audited by 2 Hon. Auditors (not being members of the General Committee) who shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting. A statement of the Assets and Liabilities and Income and Expenditure for the previous financial year, signed by the Hon. Auditors, shall be presented at each Annual General Meeting.
15. In each year, during the month of October, there shall be held an Annual General Meeting on a date and at a time fixed by the General Committee. Such date and time, and the venue, shall be notified to all members not later than 15 July.
Motions for consideration, and items for discussion, at an Annual General Meeting shall be notified to the Hon. General Secretary (or such other officer as members may be advised) in writing by 15 August. All motions must be proposed and seconded by fully paid-up members.
The Agenda for the Annual General Meeting shall be sent to all members at least 3 weeks before its date; and only business of which notice is given on the Agenda may be transacted at an Annual General Meeting.
Both the proposer and the seconder of a motion must attend the Annual General Meeting to propose the motion, unless the absence of either or both parties is unavoidable, the definition of which shall be at the discretion of the meeting chairman.
16. A Special General Meeting shall be convened at the request in writing to the Hon. General Secretary, signed by at least 20 members of the Club whose subscriptions are not in arrears, or by the General Committee directly, stating the purposes for which the Special General Meeting is to be convened. A Special General Meeting so convened shall be held within 6 weeks of the receipt of the request by the Hon. General Secretary, and an Agenda – including the date, time and venue – shall be sent to each member at least 3 weeks before its date. Only business of which notice is given on the Agenda may be transacted at a Special General Meeting.
17. A quorum at an Annual or a Special General Meeting shall be 30 . Only members of the Club whose subscriptions are not in arrears shall vote at an Annual or Special General Meeting. In the case of equality of votes, the person presiding at an Annual or Special General Meeting shall (save as provided by Rules 18 and 19) have a second or casting vote.
18. If at a Special General Meeting called for the purpose, three-quarters of the members present and voting so resolve, the Club shall cease to exist and its assets distributed for the benefit of amateur athletics generally.
Amendment of Rules
19. These Rules may only be amended by a two-thirds majority vote at a General Meeting called in accordance with Rules 15-17 above. Notification of proposals for any change in the Club’s Rules must be notified in accordance with the time limits specified in Rules 15-16 above.
20. No betting shall be allowed in the Club. No lottery shall be promoted by any member or officer on behalf of or in any way connected with the Club or with any entertainment or event held by or in connection with the Club without the previous authority of the General Committee. Gaming shall be permitted in the Club, so, however, as not to contravene any of the provisions of any statute for the time being in force.
21. Subject to any conditions relating to specific trophies, medals and trophies for Club Championships shall be awarded only to members whose subscriptions are not in arrears.